What Are The Signs Of A Mold Problem?

Many people live in their homes completely unaware that there is a mold problem. It is only after the development of health conditions that people start to recognize the warning signs of a mold infestation. For that reason, it is important to recognize the signs and symptoms of mold in your home.

* A strange persistent odor:

Mold has a strong, unpleasant smell. Especially if it is confined to a specific area of the home, you are likely to notice a strong, persistent, musty odor when you enter that portion of your home. However, mold can live within a wall or behind wall paper, so in those situations, you may not be able to smell it.

* Visual appearance of mold:

It is easy to distinguish mold and mildew from soap scum in a bath tub, but mold can grow in any damp area of your home. That means, if you have a cellar or basement that tends to leak or collect moisture, it is likely that those areas may also be growing mold.

* Health symptoms associated with mold:

Because it is not always visible, and it can’t always be smelled, it is very possible to have a mold infestation and be completely unaware. If you feel lethargic, have watering eyes, and congestion while you are in your house, the likely cause of these symptoms is mold.

It is common for people, with mold problems in their homes, to feel considerably better when they are out of their houses, whether they are at work or shopping at the mall. These people frequently start to feel sick when they enter their homes. The big reason would be the elevated concentration of mold in their homes.

If you believe that there is a mold problem in your home, you will need to do some investigation. You should begin by checking all of the damp areas of your home. If you can’t find any conclusive proof of the presence of mold, but you are experiencing the health related symptoms typically associated with mold, you should contact a professional.

Although it may seem disgusting to live in a home that has visible mold or gives off an odor, most people will develop no serious health problems from being exposed to a very small amount of mold.

If you do suffer from allergies, and find that you are experiencing breathing issues while in your home, you may want to find a different, temporary place to live until the mold situation can be remedied.

Ignoring the signs of a mold problem only prolongs your exposure, and allows more mold to grow. The safest policy is to aggressively look for the source of the mold and address it as soon as possible. Waiting or ignoring the warning signs can jeopardize your health and the health of your family, so be vigilant.